Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Poor Baby!


About a week before we left for Christmas vacation, I took Molly in to the Doctor for an ear infection and while we were there I had the Doctor look at a bump on her neck. The Doctor said that we would need to see an ENT ( Ear Nose and Throat) Specialist. When we got home from Idaho I took her to what I thought would be a simple visit. After examining the lump the doctor told me that it looked like a thyroglossic cyst and the she would need to have surgery to remove it. My vision narrowed and I felt like throwing up. SURGERY!!? I thought that they would just tell me that it was a cyst and it would go away. Not only was it surgery, but that she would have to be put under and stay in the hospital for 24 hours after....and before all of that, she would need to have a CT scan and be sedated for that! It just kept coming...and I got closer and closer to bawling! We scheduled the scan and I went home and cried the rest of the day. On the day of the scan we went to the hospital at 6:30 am in negative 28 degree weather. That should have been my first clue that I was in for the worst day of my life! The nurse explained to us that she would give Molly the minimum amount of meds and that she would be out in a few minutes, nothing to worry about she does this all the time. After trying a number of times to get the stupid IV into the top of her little hand the vein collapsed. They ended up putting it in her arm, but the poor girl was already traumatized. I kept telling myself that she would be fine and that in just a few minutes she will fall asleep fast....nope- wrong! The nurse gave her the MAX amount of meds that she could for her weight and an HOUR later ( full of very very restless whines and whimpers) she finally gave in. The scan went fine, but when she woke up she was literally a DEVIL child!!!! When I took her home she was still heavily medicated and could not control anything. She was screaming ( and I mean screaming), punching me, pulling my hair, and flailing out of control! I just felt like crying! That went on for 2 hours until she fell asleep. When she woke up she was a little better, but not much. By the end of the day when Brady got home, I was shot and Molly was almost back to normal. She still walked like she was drunk, but she wasn't the devil anymore. We survived...barely! We met with the doctor a couple of days after the scan, and he was able to tell us that the cyst is very large (about the size of a ping pong ball) and that it is pushing on important things. He said that it would be really bad if it were to get infected. Her surgery is scheduled for February 11th, and I am not looking forward to that day for many many reasons! My poor baby! That is all I know for now, but I will keep everyone updated. We would appreciate your prayers!


In this picture you can see the Cyst really well
out the side of her neck.

11 comments:

Mandi said...

Oh, Poor Molly! I am sorry to hear she needs surgery. We hope everything goes well. We will definitely be praying for your family.

Anonymous said...

Tasha-- I am so sorry! We will pray for Molly! I will also pray for you and Brady that you can be strong through this. You both are very good parents!! Keep us updated. Give Molly a hug for us!!!

HARKER FAMILY said...

I am so sorry. I can't imagine what that must feel like. It makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. We will keep you in our prayers and hope that all goes well.

The Kimber Crew said...

Tasha, I'm seriously crying right now. How sad for little Molly! I can't imagine your emotions either! And two weeks seems like forever away. We'll be thinking of you!

Jules said...

Poor Molly and poor mama! I'm so glad you got it checked out. We'll keep our little Molly in our prayers. I wish I could give you a big hug!

Lindsay said...

Oh, my...Tasha - what a horrible day! I hope everything will go much better on the 11th - we'll be praying for you.

Ashley said...

ooh how scary! I hope everything goes well..we will be praying for Molly...and you and Brady too! Good Luck!

Wilm2RS said...

Definitely in our prayers! We miss little Molly. We actually just went through a similar thing with Garrett on Thanksgiving day. CT scans, horrible IV experience and surgery for an abcess behind his ear. Not fun, but he sure felt A LOT better when it was all over. We wish you the best of luck! Be positive...

The Six Moores said...

Brady and Tasha, We are so sorry you have to go through that. You two and Molly is in our prayers. We hope all goes well on the 11th. It is so sad when things happin to such little kids because they don't understand. But they also forget soon, which is good. Good luck w/ everything. You guys are great!

Happy Hermies said...

I'm so sorry for Molly...I bawled reading about her IV. That is the worst thing ever for a mom or a baby to go through...I'm gonna call you tomorrow. I'm so sorry, Tash!!

craig&susan said...

It was good to talk to you today Tash. We will be praying for your family this week. And I'll keep you posted about Dan.